Friday, May 19, 2006

My 10-year-old daughter's writing

My daughter, as a student in the Florida school system, took the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Aptitude Test) exam this year. Part of the practice involved writing assessments... here's one:

Everyone has wished that someone that is a special person to them is a teacher. I wish that my Dad is my teacher. Whether it's that he's great at math or likes exercise, my Dad would be a great teacher.

To begin with, my Dad would be a great teacher because he is fantastic at math. Last week, when I was doing math I cried "I'll never get number fifteen right! You have to be Einstein to know the answer to a hundred and two times two!" "What's the problem honeybunch?" asked my Dad. "I don't know the answer to number fifteen" I wailed. My Dad sat down next to me, put his arm on my shoulder, and leaned to look at number fifteen in my enormous textbook. "The library has a hundred and two books. Each book has two stickers. How many stickers are in the whole library?" my father read. "A hundred and two times two" I shrieked. My father's eyes filled with laughter and joy as he smiled a joyful smile. "Honey, a hundred and two times two is like a hundred and two plus a hundred and two" he laughed. "Oh" I replied as I wrote two hundred and four. My Dad always knows answers in math.

In addition, my Dad would be a great teacher because he likes me to get alot of exercise. Yesterday my dad took my sisters, my brother and me to the park. "Can I run?" I pleaded. "Don't ask me. Do anything that gives you exercise, but wait for me", my Dad replied. I ran like a cheetah to the park and climbed up the nearest hill to roll down on. I reached the top of the hill, but I felt like it was a mountain! I could see the whole park! I layed on my back and was so scared because of the height. "What are you waiting for, midnight?" I was so startled, I rolled down the hill while I screamed. I felt like a living top that had just rolled a million times. Boy, my Dad likes exercise.

Everyone wants a fun teacher. McDonald is great, Santa is fun, but my Dad would be everyone's favorite teacher. We could have disco parties and math would be easy. Boy, my Dad is great.

No comments: