Thursday, May 04, 2006

Acronym Soup

Dear recruiters/hiring managers,

I spent 8 years doing operating system development for a very, very large company. I have over 20 years of experience in solving complex software problems, doing project management, people management, performance measurement, etc. I have a BSCS and an MBA. I spent a great deal of time doing low-level, embedded systems development. I understand the intracacies of software development.

So you want to know, for example, how many years of Java development I have. That's 0. ZERO. Java, to me, is coffee. I could pick it up easily (as a technology and as a drink), but don't spend my off hours piddling with languages/environments/technologies that aren't related to the business value I'm trying to deliver for my employer/client.

So, you won't consider me for position in which I don't have specific experience.

I've got news for you. It's your (or your client's) loss.

Wake up HR. It's not the acronym soup that's important. It's the attitude, aptitude and integrity that matters most. My current employer gets it. Why can't you?

No comments: