Saturday, July 08, 2006

Rosie Perez

Watching Rosie Perez on Jay Leno tonight. It annoys me.

A quote from her: "Poverty is sad, but it's also funny".

I've listened to other celebrities talk about growing up poor, e.g. Dolly Parton. Many of them seem to have adopted a much more measured perspective of their rise from rags to celebrity. I don't find poverty funny. In fact, I find poverty particularly UNFUNNY.

Her accent is awful. Her exploitation of her caricature as a voluptuous Puerto Rican should be offensive to hard-working Puerto Ricans.

I'm truly dumbfounded by our culture's infatuation with celebrity.

So what do I do? I won't go see any movies she's in (not that she'll ever be a leading lady).... unless there is some other benefit to be gained (would Meryl ever do a movie with her?)

Venting....

No comments: